Entitled beneficiaries are usually ‘blood line’ descendants to the deceased. However, an adopted person is deemed ‘blood line’ and therefore would benefit also
The following is an illustration of the general order of priority to any intestate estate in England and Wales. (For Scotland, add Great Grandparents and related descendant lines).
'Half Blood' relatives can also inherit in the absence of 'Full Blood'
1. Surviving Spouse or Civil Partner
2. Children or descendants of Child
4. ‘Full Blood’ Brother(s) / Sister(s) or descendants if deceased
5. ‘Half Blood’ Brother(s) / Sister(s) or descendants if deceased
7. ‘Full Blood’ Paternal and Maternal Uncles / Aunties or descendants if deceased
8. ‘Half Blood’ Paternal / Maternal Uncles / Aunties or descendants if deceased